Garcinia Cambogia is the scientific name for the well known tropical fruit, Malabar Tamarind. The fruit extract pill is quite famous for its weight loss effects or rather the ability to block any fat build up in the body. It is also said to control your appetite reducing your intake considerably. There are also talks on the same having a better check on the cholesterol and blood sugar levels. You can find this in the shelf housing the diet supplement products with other similar ones. People are even referring it to be the “holy grail of weight loss.”
Let us delve deeper to find what the hype is all about and whether it really works as it promises.
What is pure Garcina Cambogia extract?
The Malabar Tamarind is a pumpkin like fruit but is quite tiny compared to the pumpkins. They are generally found in the regions of Indonesia, South west India and Myanmar. The fruit extract is nothing but the HCA (hydroxycitric acid) which is used for making these magic weight loss pills. The tree is naturally found in parts of Asia and Africa and is generally used as a spice for adding flavor while cooking sea food. The natives of these parts are not quite aware of the weight loss properties but rather they use it for other health benefits like treating ulcers, reliving arthritis pain and promoting digestion. They are better known as Gambooge fruit and is used in curries and chutneys. The purest extract from this fruit is what is said to aid with weight loss and it was first discovered in 1960s.
Garcinia Cambogia for weight loss
Weight gain in any person is owing to two main things – overeating or eating beyond required and conversion of carbohydrates into sugars and fats rather than energy. Garcinia Cambogia helps in fighting these two major reasons for weight gain and thus promotes weight loss.
- The first attack of this extract is to kill your appetite. So you will be eating lesser than usual. And since your body requires energy to function, it will automatically start burning the excess fat to cope up with the energy requirements. By reducing your appetite, it helps breaking down the accumulated fat cells.
- The second task is ensuring that there is no further accumulation of fat cells in your body. To do that, this extract helps controlling the enzyme Citrate lyase. This is the enzyme responsible for breaking down the food we ingest into fats and sugars. When this is controlled, any carbohydrate consumed by us is excreted out of our body as waste.
Garcinia is not just effective in reducing fat cells in the body, but it also ensures that there is no further accumulation of them either. If you are looking for scientific evidence then you will find that the HCA, a derivative of the citric acids, is naturally a suppressant of appetite. Also when mixed in the right combination, the pure extract will stop the absorption of fat cells from your food too. Additionally, the product also helps in maintaining the right level of Cholesterol, leptin, serotonin, triglyceride, etc.
Garcinia Cambogia plus benefits
The fruit rind is extensively used as a condiment in the cooking around the Asian regions. There have been many other benefits listed down for this pumpkin like small fruit. This tropical fruit is a rich source of multiple minerals and enzymes and it helps building your immunity for the better.
- Suppresses Appetite: The key ingredient in Garcinia Cambogia is HCA which helps controlling your hunger. If you are an emotional eater, who eats when you are sad or depressed, then the intake of this product will help increase the serotonin levels controlling your emotions and turning them happier. With increased serotonin levels, your craving to have more sugar is also at low.
- Increased metabolism: The process of metabolism uses the energy from the food we intake and maintains a balance in your body. With increased metabolism, balanced by the HCA in Cambogia, all the carbohydrates in your food will be used as energy rather than getting stored as fat. And with decreased appetite, the metabolism will start using the fat storage in your body for the extra energy.
- Fat inbition: The food we intake is converted into sugars and fats with the help of the enzyme known as Citrus lyase. The HCA present in this product will help control this enzyme stopping the food from breaking into fats. This way the food we intake will then be discarded as waste by our body.
- Control of cholesterol: Higher amounts of lipoprotein (low density) results in cholesterol and HCA is known for lowering the production of this low density lipoprotein and in also reducing the lipid count in the blood vessels. It also enhances the production of high density lipoprotein reducing the chances of bad cholesterol in your blood.
- Increased immunity: The fruit is also rich in Vitamin C which is key for building your immune system. With regular intake of this fruit extract, you will be supplementing your body with extra vitamin C to keep yourself immune from illness.
- Lower blood pressure levels: With a lower cholesterol level, .the blood pressure also goes down giving you a healthy heart and a better life. This further reduces the chance of you falling prey to strokes and heart attacks.
- Happiness guaranteed: The serotonin is the hormone that helps build our mood towards happiness. HCA helps in increasing this hormone levels, causing us to feel content and happy. There will be no more chances of depression or sadness in your life with Garcinia Cambogia.
Garcinia Cambogia side effects
The fruit as such is not harmful in anyway. So you can consume it in its natural state. But the extract, as part of the dietary supplement, does not always bear fruitful results. There have been certain side effects reported by people over time. Some of them are,
- The blood sugar going low as it will interact with the medicines ingested by diabetic patients.
- There is no conclusive and in depth research on the product for pregnant women or new mothers.
- Could cause an issue if the person is suffering from dementia or Alzheimer.
- There have been reports of upset stomach and headache which has been restricted to a particular brand and cannot be ascertained only to this extract.
- Skin rashes and allergies have been reported by some. But again, we do not know the exact cause of these reactions.
- Reports of sleeplessness are also made but that could be due to the energy released by the medicine not finding a way out.
In order for the HCA extract to be fruitful and not harmful, it should be mixed in the right combination. Also the dosage has a huge impact. It is however better to keep your doctors or physicians posted on the same before you try out any new nutritional supplement including Garcinia Cambogia.
It is also advisable that you exercise your body often when you take this supplement to vent out the energy created by the breaking down of fat cells. Also, it is better not to take this supplement beyond 12 weeks as post that you might need the basic fat requirement of your body. This might cause more problems.
Who should not take it?
Like every other product, there are also restrictions on who can and who cannot take this supplement for weight loss.
- The first category is women who are pregnant and those who are still breastfeeding their babies. This is because there has been no substantial tests conducted in this regard and there is no guarantee on how this will react. Also there is no clue on how this will affect the fetus or the baby feeding from the mother.
- If you have heart related issues, then you are strictly advised against it. The product works by increasing your metabolism and hence there will be an increased hear rate which can cause issues to people who are already suffering from heart issues.
- If you are using blood thinners then it is not advisable to use this product.
- Neither should you use it if you are suffering from diabetes.
As far as you are not suffering from any illness like diabetes or any heart related problems, then there are no qualms in you taking this product. However, you need to make sure that you get the right brand which has the HCA in the right mix and does not use any artificial or synthetic ingredient.
Does Garcinia Cambogia work?
This is a rich source of calcium, iron, phosphorus, niacin, thiamine and riboflavin along with HCA (Hydroxy Citric acid). The HCA is the compound claimed to act as a natural suppressant of appetite and a compound that breaks down fat cells. There is mixed opinion as to whether the product actually works as a weight loss compound. While some call it as the ultimate solution for weight loss, others do blame it for not working. Add on to the fact, that there is no solid clinical evidence, it definitely causes worry.
Again, the topic comes to the fact on how the mix is made, whether the right proportion of Garcinia Cambogia has been added to the mix or not. The claims made by multiple brands are that it helps reduce weight without the need for any form of exercise or diet. There have been testing done on animals and the results were positive in terms of weight loss. However there has been no tests done on humans and hence the results might vary.
Another point in argument is that the variations in which the ingredients are mixed can have an effect on its potency. If the HCA level is not as per the requirement then the result may not be as promised. It is indeed true that HCA can help with weight loss by suppressing appetite and by blocking Citrus Lyase in breaking down the food into fat or sugar. However, the weight loss may not always be as expected.
Garcinia Cambogia results
If you are expecting a miracle by taking Garcinia Cambogia, then you will probably be disappointed. The weight loss will be gradual but consistent. There will be initial weight loss on the first couple of days after you take Garcinia Cambogia. In fact you might lose as much as 3 pounds in the first week of taking this. Additionally, you will feel yourself to be more energetic than usual and will be more refreshed to take the day with enthusiasm. With additional energy, you will be able to take up exercising and other physical activities which will help you to shed more weight. So combine Garnicia Cambogia with some form of physical sport or exercise and you would be surprised by the results.
When your intake is low and you are already taking healthy food, then your body will feel completely rejuvenated and will be ready to handle any challenge the life might throw your way. Also, with a healthy and refreshed body, you will have a refreshed mind as well.
How to take Garcinia Cambogia
There are two forms in which you can consume Garcinia – pill and liquid. Whatever be the form, you need to make sure that you know the right dosage to take the pill or the drops. Studies suggest that 2800mg in a day is the right dosage, but this might vary if the ingredients are mixed in a different combo. It is therefore better to ingest this well below the dosage level mentioned in the overleaf of the supplement. You also need to make sure that you buy it from a trusted place and from a trusted company. It is important that your dosage does not exceed 1500mg of HCA every day. It would be better to read through the instructions from the manufacturer and consult with your doctor prior to ingesting this supplement.
- Taking as a pill: This could be a tablet or a capsule. In that case, you need to take it with water as per the instructions and it has to be consumed either 30 or 60 minutes prior to your meal. The number of times you are taking the pill will depend on the amount of HCA present in each of them. If one pill has 500mg of HCA, then you may take it three times.
- Liquid Garcinia: In case of liquid, you should take somewhere around 1-2 drops before your meal. Again this will vary based on the concentration of the liquid. You should take it directly on your tongue, let it linger there for a second before swallowing it. The same concept of taking the right dosage is very important. And you can have your meal after half or one hour of taking the liquid Garcinia.
All the above benefits are apart from the main advantage of weight loss guaranteed by this product. Yes, there are side effects one needs to be wary of. However, if you take a consultation from a renowned doctor and take the right dosage, you will be able to reap the full benefits of Garcinia Cambogia.